Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS), a non-profit law firm which provides free legal help to low-income individuals, is currently hiring a fulltime staff attorney for their Mankato and Worthington offices. SMRLS is looking for qualified candidates to provide full range of high-quality legal services, in a respectful manner which enables our clients to enforce their legal rights.
The position will provide direct client services in the family law litigation unit. The family law litigation unit provides legal services in contested matters involving dissolution of marriage, custody, and parenting time disputes, and restraining orders for victims.
Duties include client interviewing and counseling, drafting pleadings; drafting and responding to discovery; and appearing in court. Assignments may change over time based upon client and firm needs.
The staff attorney must be willing to maintain a caseload in compliance with SMRLS’ written practice standards, guiding principles, federal regulations, and other SMRLS Board policies in furtherance of SMRLS’ Mission. Some community education, outreach, and active bar participation are also expected.
· Licensed to practice in Minnesota; those sitting for February Bar will be considered.
· Two years of family law experience or other work in a legal setting is preferred, however self-starters ready for a challenge should apply.
· Experience working in low-income communities, including victims and individuals from other cultural backgrounds, or other demonstrated interest in working with low-income clients is preferred, however individuals interested in social justice should apply.
· Computer competence and proficiency with Microsoft products.
· Effective communication skills; ability to work constructively with others in both a team and individual settings; good judgment; ability to learn quickly and work efficiently under pressure.
SALARY: Starting salary is $53,509 + (DOE) with excellent benefits.
STARTING DATE: As soon as practicable. Position is open until filled.
TO APPLY: Apply online at https://www.smrls.org/about-us/job-opportunities/
Please submit your resume, a cover letter, list of three references, and a writing sample.
You may also apply by email addressed to: Meghan Maes, Lead Attorney at email@example.com
SMRLS IS COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY IN THE WORKPLACE.WOMEN, MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.