DIRECTOR COUNSEL, Retail Strategies
Date: April 2019
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company, and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal professionals, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. This team advocates for Target and its business in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with business and legal advice. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning our business and building relationships with senior leaders and key business partners will be essential to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. You’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
Within Target Legal Affairs, the Retail Strategies team provides value-added legal support to Target’s merchandising, marketing, and innovation teams in advancement of Target’s guest-facing strategies.In the role of Director Counsel, Retail Strategies, you will work on a wide variety of transactions and negotiations, resolve non-litigated disputes, and advise on advertising and marketing regulatory compliance. In addition, you will use your legal acumen to advise on the launch of new businesses and strategies in emerging areas, and help businesses design operational processes that meet the company’s legal and business goals. You will create and provide both written and in-person training and self-help tools and retain and manage outside counsel resources.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- J.D. degree with excellent academic credentials from an accredited law school
- Admitted or eligible for admission to the Minnesota bar
- 3-8 years of legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or government capacity
- Demonstrate innovative and creative problem solving skills with strong leadership skills
- Curious, pro-active, and motivated to learn about new businesses and new legal concepts
- Excited about working with a diverse and large internal client base and collaborating with your Legal Affairs colleagues
- Comfortable making specific recommendations in ambiguous situations
- Excellent sense of prioritization and highly organized with the ability to manage multiple projects and client relationships in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to tailor message by audience, and deliver clear and concise advice in a timely manner
- Flexible team player and comfortable working with experts, generalists, and senior level leaders
- High level of self-motivation, initiative and organization, with the ability to be resilient and adaptable to risk, uncertainty, and changing directions, and to seek out assistance and advice from others when needed
For more information or to apply to go: