Temporary Spanish-Speaking Case Coordinator and Intake Specialist, Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN)
Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) provides free advice and legal representation to low-income individuals through volunteer attorneys, interpreters and other legal professionals. VLN’s mission is to protect and promote the basic needs of people in poverty through the power of legal volunteers. VLN envisions a society in which everyone has equal access to the legal services essential for stability and well-being. VLN is a private non-profit organization affiliated with the Hennepin County Bar Association.
VLN seeks a mission-driven, customer-service oriented, well-organized, dependable Spanish-speaking individual for a temporary intake and case coordinator position. The term of the position is from approximately late-May to late-December.
Case coordinators are directly involved in all aspects of service delivery at VLN including client intake, volunteer management and support, data management, and program support. Job duties potentially include:
Case Coordination (60%)
- Match qualified clients with volunteer attorneys. Proactively monitor and manage cases matched with volunteers.
- Complete detailed issue-specific interviews for people seeking legal help.
- Provide support to VLN’s in-person and phone advise clinics by managing the schedule (volunteers and clients) and ensuring clients are prepared to speak to the volunteer attorney.
- Provide on-site clinic support by managing client intake, setting client expectations for wait time and type of assistance provided, and assisting with post-service follow-up such as form completion.
- Support volunteers in doing small translations (emails/letters) and interpreting in brief phone calls.
- Data entry and data management.
- Assist on-staff resource attorneys with follow-up phone calls, drafting letters and documents, and filing and serving documents with the court.
- Other duties as assigned.
Client Intake (40%)
- Staff VLN’s client intake phone line by answering phone calls from people seeking help with legal issues, determining eligibility, and referring the caller to the appropriate program or resource.
- Must be fluent in Spanish
- Ability to work independently.
- Basic computer skills, including familiarity with MS Office products.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income communities and communities of color
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Proficiency with Office 365 applications
- Experience working in a non-profit environment preferred.
- Knowledge of local legal and social services providers.
- Experience performing outreach to impoverished and underrepresented communities.
VLN seeks candidates who enjoy working with people and who can respond with calm and compassion to people who are frustrated and stressed (both clients and attorneys). VLN is committed to providing on-going training to staff to support continuous improvement in knowledge of legal resources, social services, and customer service skills.
Hourly Compensation: $16.00/hour
Benefits: Paid time-off; Health, Dental, FSA, Life, Short/Long-term Disability, IRA Plan, Contribution to Employee’s IRA
VLN is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation or any other factors prohibited by applicable law.
Those with diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Mail cover letter explaining your qualifications, as well as resume, to email@example.com
No phone calls please.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Open until filled.