JOB TITLE: Administrative and Development Assistant (1.0 FTE)
Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) provides free advice and legal representation to low-income individuals through volunteer attorneys, interpreters and other legal professionals. VLN’s mission is to protect and promote the basic needs of people in poverty through the power of legal volunteers. VLN envisions a society in which everyone has equal access to the legal services essential for stability and well-being. VLN is a private non-profit organization affiliated with the Hennepin County Bar Association.
VLN seeks a mission-driven, customer-service oriented, well-organized, dependable individual for the Administrative and Development Assistant position. The Administrative and Development Assistant is responsible for staffing the front desk, supporting the administrative functions of the organization, and supporting VLN’s development and fundraising effort. The Administrative Assistant is VLN’s public face in the office. The position works closely with staff from the Bar Associations to maintain a friendly and inviting setting for clients, volunteers, and bar association members. Job duties include:
- Serve as VLN’s first point of contact for volunteers, current clients, and applicants for VLN’s services;
- Working with staff from the bar association to greet, direct, and help visitors to our shared office. Act as a liaison between our office and the bar associations;
- Assist with record management and bookkeeping, including filing, processing revenue receipts and payments, and processing bills, disbursements, and sorting mail.
- Assisting VLN’s development team in applying for grants, contacting donors, performing surveys, processing donations, and event planning.
- Data entry and data management; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work independently.
- Basic computer skills, including familiarity with MS Office products.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income communities and communities of color
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Spanish or Somali or other East African language.
- Proficiency with Office 365 applications
Experience working in a non-profit environment preferred.
- Knowledge of local legal and social services providers.
- Experience performing outreach to impoverished and disadvantaged communities.
VLN seeks candidates who enjoy working with people and who can respond with calm and compassion to people who are frustrated and stressed (both clients and attorneys). This position offers an opportunity to learn about many parts of the legal system, including family, housing, bankruptcy, criminal expungement and debt collection. VLN is committed to providing on-going training to staff to support continuous improvement in knowledge of legal resources, social services, and customer service skills.
Salary is DOQ up to $15 per hour plus benefits.
VLN is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation or any other factors prohibited by applicable law.
Those with diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Mail cover letter explaining your qualifications, as well as resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Monday June 17, 2019