Nichols Kaster, PLLP, an employee, consumer, and civil rights firm, seeks an associate attorney for its wage theft team in Minneapolis, MN or San Francisco, CA office.
Nichols Kaster, PLLP has dedicated over 45 years to fighting for the little guy in individual and class action matters. With offices in Minneapolis, Minnesota and San Francisco, California, the firm is perfectly situated for the work it does representing plaintiffs in cases across the country. Nichols Kaster is a proven powerhouse for taking on complex cases and securing significant recoveries for plaintiffs.
In addition to its practice of representing individuals in workplace discrimination, harassment, and retaliation cases, the firm represents employees in class and collective actions for unpaid wages, and in class actions for retirement plan participants to protect their 401(k) investments. It also represents consumers who corporate American has treated unfairly. The firm has made a practice of taking on cases where civil rights and human dignities have been violated.
The wage theft team holds responsible companies that refuse to pay workers the compensation they are due, misclassify them as independent contractors, force them to work off the clock, and skim from their pay. Our team has litigated class and collective wage theft actions involving positions such as home health aides, flight attendants, nurses, loan officers, retail salespersons, oil and gas workers, assistant managers, field service engineers, call center representatives, delivery drivers, casino workers, construction workers, exotic dancers, inside sales representatives, restaurant workers, insurance adjusters, property specialists, property managers, installers, service technicians, road construction laborers, and more.
Associates in our wage theft group take an active role in managing their own cases, writing, responding to, and arguing motions, taking and defending depositions, and participating in arbitration and trial of class and collective actions. Team collaboration and strategizing is a fun and critical aspect of the position as well. Unlike many other firms, our associates are on the front lines of active litigation and will find the practice of fighting for the little guy in class and collective action cases both challenging and rewarding.
At Nichols Kaster, we believe that diversity in all forms improves every workplace and makes every organization better. Nichols Kaster is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive work environment for our employees and to bringing a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to our work. We encourage members of diverse communities to apply.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Litigate wage and hour collective and class actions in federal court
- Conduct legal research and write legal memoranda
- Draft pleadings and briefs, argue motions in court
- Maintain client relationships
- Take and defend depositions
- Work with experts
- Develop new cases and conduct pre-suit investigations
- Develop relationships with other attorneys in the plaintiffs’ bar
- Engage in public speaking, including at conferences, CLEs, and on panels
- Work closely with and supervise paralegals, assistants, and clerks
- Travel as required for litigation and conferences
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 2-4 years of litigation experience preferred
- Admission to the MN bar, or eligibility for admission within six months
- Superior analytical skills and excellent research and writing skills
- Excellent oral communication and advocacy skills
- Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities, work independently, and meet strict deadlines under pressure
- Self-motivated, entrepreneurial, collaborative, and diligent, with a commitment to plaintiffs’ side litigation
- Full time, flexible schedule
- Participation in medical and dental benefits, 401(k) and profit-sharing plan
- Group life insurance
- Fitness Center membership
- Participation in discretionary year-end bonus plan
Interested candidates can apply on-line at https://www.nka.com/careers.html.