Youth Law Project Attorney: Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA)
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking a full-time staff attorney in its Minneapolis office for a position with the Youth Law Project (YLP). The YLP provides free legal advice and representation to youth throughout the state of Minnesota. This position will start as soon as possible after it is filled.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
BACKGROUND: MMLA’s mission is to advocate for the legal rights of disadvantaged people to have safe, healthy, and independent lives in their communities. MMLA provides civil legal representation to clients with low incomes and seniors in 21 counties in central Minnesota, and to people with disabilities throughout the state. MMLA’s Minneapolis office primarily serves clients who reside in Hennepin and Anoka Counties. MMLA receives funding from a variety of public and private sources and enjoys strong support from the organized bar.
- Apply the principles of MMLA’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions.
- Advise and represent youth regarding emancipation, obtaining necessary documents, access to medical, mental health care, social services, school discipline, independent living issues, homelessness, and other civil legal matters.
- Provide community outreach.
- Conduct intake at youth centers and shelters.
- Provide training and community legal education programs on youth law issues.
- Visit facilities and programs that serve youth to ensure appropriate and individualized delivery of and access to services and support.
- Additional responsibilities may include policy advocacy.
- Attorney must be licensed in Minnesota, registered for taking the February 2022 Minnesota Bar examination, or eligible for admission by reciprocity.
- Demonstrated interest in, and commitment to, the needs of people from low-income backgrounds and vulnerable communities.
- Commitment to working as a team member to serve the needs of youth.
- A desire to appear in court and/or administrative proceedings to advance clients’ rights.
- Excellent analytical and written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office required.
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred.
- Second language ability preferred.
- Experience working with youth of different ages and backgrounds preferred.
SALARY: $55,000 to $60,000 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits. Benefits include family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter, and three job-related references online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Micaela Schuneman at email@example.com.
Please direct all other inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.