YOUTH LAW PROJECT STAFF ATTORNEY/ADVOCATE – FULL-TIME
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking a full-time staff attorney or advocate in its Minneapolis office for a position with the Youth Law Project (YLP). YLP provides free legal advice and representation to Hennepin County youth. This position will start as soon as possible after it is filled. This position is posted on our website under two listings: one for attorney applicants and one for advocate applicants.
- Apply the principles of MMLA’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions
- Advise and represent youth regarding emancipation, obtaining necessary documents, access to medical, mental health care, social services, school discipline, independent living issues, homelessness, and other civil legal matters.
- Provide community outreach
- Conduct intake at youth centers and shelters
- Provide training and community legal education programs on youth law issues
- Visit facilities and programs that serve youth to ensure appropriate and individualized delivery of and access to services and support
- Additional responsibilities may include policy advocacy
- Attorney applicants must be licensed in Minnesota, registered for taking the July 2021 Minnesota Bar examination, or eligible for admission by reciprocity.
- Demonstrated interest in, and commitment to, the needs of people from low-income backgrounds and vulnerable communities
- Commitment to working as a team member to serve the needs of youth
- A desire to appear in court and/or administrative proceedings to advance clients’ rights
- Excellent analytical and written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office required
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred
- Second language ability preferred
- Experience working with youth of different ages and backgrounds preferred
SALARY: For the attorney position: $51,000 to $61,218 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits. For the advocate position: $34,908 to $40,681 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter, and three job-related references online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment by Wednesday, September 1st, 2021, or until position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter whether you are applying for the ATTORNEY position or the ADVOCATE position.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Jolene Chestnut at email@example.com.
Please direct all other inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.