Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal professionals, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. This team advocates for Target and its business in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with business and legal advice. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning our business and building relationships with senior leaders and key business partners will be essential to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. You’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
Within Target Legal Affairs, the Regulatory, Retail and Payments team provides value-added legal support to Target’s business and compliance teams in advancement of Target’s guest-facing strategies in a wide variety of areas including food, alcohol, and pricing. In the role of Director Counsel, Regulatory, you will work with a wide variety of business partners to provide timely, thorough and strategic advice on the regulatory issues in your portfolio and interact with external stakeholders, including government representatives at federal, state and local levels. In addition, you will use your legal acumen to advise on the launch of new businesses and strategies in emerging areas, and help businesses design operational processes that meet the company’s legal and business goals. You will create and provide both written and in-person training and self-help tools and retain and manage outside counsel resources.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- J.D. degree with excellent academic credentials from an accredited law school
- Admitted or eligible for admission to the Minnesota bar
- 5-8 years of legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or government capacity
- Experience in regulatory law, including FDA/USDA
- Demonstrate innovative and creative problem solving skills with strong leadership skills
- Curious, pro-active, and motivated to learn about new businesses and new legal concepts
- Strong desire for continuous learning and willingness to take on new regulatory areas
- Excited about working with a diverse and large internal client base and collaborating with your Legal Affairs colleagues
- Comfortable making specific recommendations in ambiguous situations
- Excellent sense of prioritization and highly organized with the ability to manage multiple projects and client relationships in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to tailor message by audience, and deliver clear and concise advice in a timely manner
- Flexible team player and comfortable working with experts, generalists, and senior level leaders
- High level of self-motivation, initiative and organization, with the ability to be resilient and adaptable to risk, uncertainty, and changing directions, and to seek out assistance and advice from others when needed