Thomson Reuters (TR) provides intelligent information and solutions for law firms, corporations, government agencies, tax professionals, and academic institutions. The Contracts Counsel position sits within Customers and Commercials, within the TR Legal Function, and will report to the Manager, Commercial Contracts. The Contracts Counsel will serve as a hands-on customer contracts attorney, leading complex negotiations with Thomson Reuters customers. Day to day duties include customer contract drafting and negotiation, and providing timely counsel regarding risk management and compliance to business stakeholders. The position provides legal support to all levels of personnel, with emphasis on the sales team. The Contracts Counsel will draft, negotiate and approve complex custom contracts for the purchase of print, data, software, hosted services, and technology products. The position is also responsible for providing legal support for customer contracts for new products and acquisitions. Additionally, the position supports a proposal team for government, corporate, accounting firm and law-firm issued solicitations.
- Review and respond to requests for customer modifications to contracts for TR products
- Negotiate directly with external customers from all market segments
- Negotiate Master Agreements for Corporate, Accounting Firm and Law Firm customers
- Negotiate and support Master Services Agreements and other government contracts within an assigned territory
- Work directly with government contracting officers, and other procurement professionals in the private sector
- Review terms and conditions for Requests for Proposals, Invitations to Bid, as well as other informal bidding opportunities for government customers
- Utilize multiple applications for contract generation and review of requested exceptions and contract modifications
- Provide legal guidance in the resolution of contract issues and disputes.
- Provide legal/contracting support to sales professionals
- Become thoroughly familiar with TR customer contracts, products, pricing models and systems.
- Draft contracts addenda and templates as needed
- Provide sales support for legal issues
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) required from an accredited law school and current attorney licensure.
- 2-5 years in customer contracting in a corporate setting, with strong legal experience negotiating and drafting customer and/or vendor agreements. Related experience in a content, software and/or technology environment will be considered.
- Experience structuring, drafting, analyzing and negotiating a wide range of sales contracts, including content, software and service agreements, master agreements, NDAs, SaaS agreements, and Service Level Agreements.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365, including Word and Microsoft Teams
- Demonstrated internal and external negotiation skills.
- Experience working with and advising a nationwide sales organization.
KNOWLEDGE AND PREFERRED SKILLS
- Exceptional ability to build strong working relationships with internal and external business customers and executive level management.
- Contract administration and compliance experience.
- Demonstrated exceptional business judgment and acumen.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of an organization, both internally and externally.
- Respected resource who is routinely consulted for advice and recommendations.
- High level of integrity, professionalism and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and to work under pressure within tight deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Consistently performs at high levels on complex contracts and negotiations with minimal supervision.
- Works well as a team member and able to build trust and rapport with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to successfully balance the interests of the customer with maintaining a good legal and fiscal position for the company.
- Knowledge of Thomson Reuters products and services a plus
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance – and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.