Thomson Reuters – Manager, Legal Operations, Office of the General Counsel
The position is responsible for managing the day-to-day business and global operations of the Thomson Reuters Legal Department, which has a staff of over 100 legal professionals around the world. A key priority of the job is to support the achievement of Legal Department-wide strategies and objectives and to drive the technology transformation for the function to address on-going business needs. This will include identifying, implementing and providing ongoing support for various technology and Legal Department automation solutions and processes. This position reports to the Executive Vice President, General Counsel. The successful candidate will partner with internal stakeholders across the Thomson Reuters Legal Department and with other corporate functions and businesses in a large and diverse number of areas, including:
Operations & Communication:
- Coordinate the Legal Department’s operating rhythm, including senior leadership meetings, Legal Department-wide calls and other forums
- Develop meeting agendas and materials, including pre-read and visual aids to effectively inform discussion and decision making
- Develop, manage and implement the Legal Department’s internal and external communications approach, strategy and programs
- Act as the Legal Department’s liaison with partners in other Thomson Reuters businesses and functional departments, including HR, Finance and Communications
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the General Counsel
Technology, Project and Knowledge Management:
- Develop a technology roadmap for the Legal Department that takes into account industry best practices as well as Legal Department workflows and priorities
- Manage Legal technology initiatives such as knowledge management, contract lifecycle management, document management and document automation
- Work with internal IT, external vendors and the Legal Leadership team to identify and implement tools, technologies and process enhancements to improve the efficiency and productivity of the team
- Project manage various Legal Department-wide initiatives that support the function’s priorities, in close coordination with the Legal Leadership team and the wider legal professional team
Talent Management and Professional Development:
- Partner with HR to implement training and professional development initiatives for the Legal Department, including for onboarding new hires and existing staff
- Coordinate access within the Legal Department to Thomson Reuters products, promote, track usage and collect user feedback
- Develop programs that optimize knowledge sharing and collaborating across the Legal Department
Measurement & Metrics:
- Conduct financial analysis on outside counsel spend using the Thomson Reuters Legal Tracker e-billing system
- Oversee the Legal Department’s overall spend against budget
- Produce Legal Department operational metrics and benchmarking and related presentation materials
Skills & Experience
- Experience in strategic business planning and operations management
- Global experience with large-scale process management and process improvement initiatives
- Experience with operations of functional departments or business
- Proven experience in identifying, implementing and using technology solutions
- Tech savvy or willing to be early adopter of tech solutions
- Established analytical and project management ability
- Problem solver
- Ability to take ownership and drive towards specified goals
- Very strong communication skills (written, oral, listening and presentation skills)
- Ability to build relationships and network with varied stakeholders
- Must be a self-starter, comfortable working as part of a small team as well as alone
- Ability to drive innovation initiatives
- Highly collaborative individual with proven ability to work well in a matrix and effectively manage across boundaries
- Experience working in the legal industry/legal services is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required; JD not required
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance – and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.