Job Class: Attorney 1
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 08/22/2018
Closing Date: 09/12/2018
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Revenue Dept / Revenue-Severed
Division/Unit: Appeals & Legal Services / Legal Services 2
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
Travel Required: No
Salary Range: $26.30 - $38.75/hourly; $54,914 - $80,910/annually
Classified Status: Classified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 219 - Severed/Unrep
FLSA Status: Exempt - Professional
Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
This posting may be used to fill multiple vacancies.
Responsibilities include: Drafting administrative rules and revenue notices in the areas of sales tax and special taxes. Provide legal counsel to the Sales Tax and Special Taxes divisions; representing the Department of Revenue at contested case or rule hearings; identifying legal and policy issues across tax types and ensuring that all interested parties are aware of and understand the issues; drafting legislation in the subject areas and testifying at legislative hearings; drafting litigation documents such as pleadings, subpoenas, motions and appearing in court; consult with and advise other attorneys in the division concerning the work of the division; and take on special assignments on a project or need basis.
* Graduation from an ABA-approved law school.
* Admission to the Bar (license) to practice law in Minnesota is required prior to appointment.
* Authorized to practice law in Minnesota.
Applicants who meet the above experience requirements will be further evaluated based on the following:
* Knowledge of state and federal judicial and administrative procedures and the rules of evidence.
* Skill in analyzing, appraising, and organizing facts, laws, and legal precedents.
* Human relations and communication skills sufficient to work in a professional and courteous manner.
* Ability to understand, interpret, and explain laws, rules, and regulations.
* Ability to present cases and information before decision-making bodies.
* Ability to describe and explain legal problems and provide legal advice.
* Legal research skills.
* Ability to participate in formal and informal judicial and administrative proceedings, ascertain facts, and arrive at logical conclusions.
* Skill sufficient to draft litigation documents such as pleadings, subpoenas, and motions.
Applicants may be required to demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities by taking a written assessment.
-Experience drafting rules or regulations for a government entity, and processing the rules or regulations following the Minnesota Administrative Procedure Act, or a similar law.
- Knowledge of state statutes, rules, and cases in the laws related to the subject areas of Minnesota's cigarette and tobacco taxes, liquor taxes, gambling taxes, petroleum taxes, insurance taxes, or various environmental taxes and fees.
- Experience drafting litigation documents.
- Experience representing clients in formal and informal judicial and administrative proceedings and appearing in court.
- Work experience or coursework in the area of state, local, or federal taxation.
-Work experience at the Minnesota State Legislature or state agencies.
- Knowledge of the administrative and regulatory functions of the Minnesota Department of Revenue Appeals and Legal Services Division.
- Experience using a legal research website.
Requires occasional moving of articles such as file folders, laptop computer, and resource materials.
Prior to an offer of employment, a background check will be conducted. This will include, but is not limited to checking degrees and licensures, criminal history, and tax filing and payment history. All individual income tax filing and payment obligations must be current prior to interviewing for this position.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
Click “Apply” at the bottom of this page. Your application must contain sufficient detail to determine qualifications. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the job information line at 651.259.3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Ashley Scherek at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651.556.4004.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651.259.3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.