Human Services Judge
MN Department of Human Services
St. Paul, MN
$56,355 - $83,604 annually
*** This is an intermittent position that is expected to work 15 hours per week.***
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
This position may require occasional travel, some overnight, within the State of Minnesota.
This position conducts administrative fair hearings when applicant or recipients of various human services programs have appealed from adverse actions taken by local or state agencies. After conducting an evidentiary hearing, the employee must review the evidence, apply pertinent law and regulations, and prepare a written recommended decision.
· Conduct hearings to receive evidence.
· Evaluate evidence; research and apply statutes, rules and policies from the appropriate program area.
· Prepare recommended decisions for disposition of appeals.
· Scheduling hearings and responding to inquiries from parties.
Juris Doctorate (J.D.)
License to practice law in the State of Minnesota
Three (3) years of advanced professional experience demonstrating the following:
· Experience with and knowledge of agency rules, policies, hearing procedures, regulations and case law related to programs administered by the state or as an attorney representing public entities or non-profit clientele in judicial or administrative hearings.
· Experience with and knowledge of administrative law.
· Knowledge of the legislative process.
· Knowledge of federal and state laws, and rules of evidence.
· Strong analytical skills and the ability to resolve conflicts in legal authority and policies.
· Ability to make and implement decisions.
· Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences.
· Sensitivity to and respect for the cultural and other differences encountered in interacting with others.
· Professional experience conducting evidentiary hearings as an administrative law judge, workers' compensation judge, unemployment insurance judge or equivalent experience in public sector hearings environment.
· Professional experience representing public assistance recipients or government agencies in legal proceedings.
· Excellent legal research and analysis skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
All interested candidates must officially apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website.
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers.
- Under External Applicants, click the “Get Started” button
- Enter 8500 in Keywords on the Job Search Page
- Click on the Job Posting
- Click on Apply on the bottom of the vacancy announcement on the Job Posting Page
(NOTE: the state job classification for this position is Appeals Examiner)
For assistance with this process, contact the Website Helpdesk at 651-259-3637 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to apply at your earliest convenience before the posting closes at MIDNIGHT on Monday, October 17th, 2016.
If you have questions, please contact:
Pam Hughes, Recruiter
If you are an individual with a disability and need an ADA accommodation for an interview, you may contact Lisa Duda at 651-431-2344 or email@example.com for assistance.
Our mission as an employer is to actively recruit, welcome and support a workforce, which is diverse and inclusive of people who are underrepresented in the development of state policies, programs and practices, so that we can support the success and growth of all people who call Minnesota home.