Human Trafficking Legal Case Manager (HTLCM)
The Advocates for Human Rights is seeking a Human Trafficking Legal Case Manager (LCM)
to work with its Refugee and Immigrant Program. The Advocates for Human Rights is a
volunteer-based, non-governmental, non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to the
promotion and protection of internationally recognized human rights.
The Advocates for Human Rights provides free legal representation to low-income asylum
seekers and human trafficking survivors by providing free legal representation. Consistent with
its mission of building the human rights movement by involving volunteers in human rights
work, The Advocates recruits, trains, and supports a pro bono panel of attorneys handling
immigration-related legal representation. The Advocates participates in coalitions of local and
national taskforces of legal service providers, law enforcement and social service providers to
ensure that non-citizen human trafficking survivors in the United States have access to legal
Position Summary: The Legal Trafficking Case Manager (LCM) will work with The Refugee
and Immigrant Program team to assist with coordination of legal services for human trafficking
victims. The LTCM will help coordinate case screening, file preparation for placement with
volunteer attorneys, as well as gathering and tracking data related to legal casework. As part of
this work, the LTCM will assist with supervising and coordinating interns who provide
assistance throughout the year. The LTCM will also assist staff attorneys that train and support
volunteer attorneys locally and nationally. The LTCM must be able to communicate with nonEnglish
speakers and people of varied cultural backgrounds. The LTCM also must be
professional, have strong written and oral communication skills, and be organized.
Coordinate Case Screening
- Manage referrals from law enforcement agencies, social service providers, and other
legal partners to initiate legal intake screening with potential human trafficking victims.
- Responsibilities include screening potential clients for service eligibility, making
referrals, and participation in regular case intake reviews with other legal services
program staff to determine eligibility for ongoing representation.
Prepare Files for Transmittal to Volunteer Attorneys
- Draft and edit case summaries, case write ups and correspondence with attorneys and
- Upload and organize relevant documents to the case handling portal.
- Follow protocol to engage case partners including sharing access to case handling portal
and scheduling regular check-in meetings for group cases.
- Assist staff attorneys with in-house legal cases and when staff attorneys support and
mentor volunteer attorneys.
Track Case Data
- Maintain client electronic and paper case files and other clerical duties necessary to
support the human trafficking legal services project.
- Manage tracking of referrals from and to legal, social service and law enforcement
Assist with Intern Coordination
- Assist with day-to-day supervision of program interns including evaluating and
interviewing intern applicants, coordinating schedules, delegating assignments and
working with Program Director to provide feedback and evaluations for interns.
Assist with Attorney Training and Support
- Assist with scheduling and advertising trainings for pro bono attorneys and social service
- Manage training registrations, address registrants' logistical questions and send reminders
to registrants prior to training.
- Coordinate training logistics with venue hosts addressing issues including technology
needs, refreshments and parking validation.
- Apply for CLE credits with the MN Board of Continuing Education, as applicable, and
post/share CLE credit information with training participants.
- Assist staff attorneys with scheduling ongoing support meetings with attorneys working
on open trafficking cases.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and program meetings
- Represent The Advocates on appropriate coalitions, bar association committees and
- Support program and organization-wide events that occur throughout the year
- Participate in organization communications efforts, including the monthly Newswire,
blogs, Asylum Update, and Observer magazine
Skills and Attributes:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and interest in learning
- Attention to detail and ability to manage data and systems with accuracy and on deadline.
- Ability to work both independently and effectively as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to work with people of
- Commitment to human rights, social justice, and international affairs.
This is a full-time position for a two-year project with health and vacation benefits.
The Advocates for Human Rights is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin,
age, disability or veteran status.
Resume and a letter explaining interest in the position should be submitted with the subject
"Human Trafficking Legal Case Manager" via email to email@example.com March 15, 2018.
Late applications will be considered until the position is filled. No calls please.