Minnesota Continuing Legal Education
Organization, Position & Person Profile
Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (Minnesota CLE) is dedicated to providing the highest quality education in the most accessible fashion to Minnesota’s lawyers and judges at a reasonable cost. Founded in 1963, Minnesota CLE is a non‐profit subsidiary 501(c)3 corporation of the Minnesota State Bar Association, and is the leading provider of continuing education to Minnesota’s lawyers and judges. Working closely with sections and committees, Minnesota CLE is responsible for the Bar’s operation of a statewide, comprehensive curriculum of continuing education, which annually includes 150 in‐class seminars, 300 + live interactive webcasts, and more than 400 moderated video replays presented at 17 locations throughout the state. Minnesota CLE operations include a significant publishing division, which maintains 25 edited, regularly updated deskbooks, and more than 50 practice Summary Guides. Approximately 2,600 volunteer faculty and authors make significant contributions to the organization’s efforts each year.
Frank Harris will be stepping down as the Executive Director of Minnesota CLE in June of 2016, concluding more than 30 years of successful leadership.
Minnesota CLE’s headquarters are located at 2550 University Ave W, Saint Paul, and the organization also maintains a 16,000 square foot conference center in downtown Minneapolis.
Minnesota CLE is governed by a 16 person board of directors who bring a range of legal, educational and corporate experience. Thaddeus Lightfoot of Dorsey & Whitney serves of Chair of the Board.
More information about Minnesota Continuing Legal Education may be found at www.minncle.org.
Detailed information concerning key initiatives and annual conferences may be found https://www.minncle.org/initiatives.htm
Reporting to the Chair and Executive Committee of the Board, and working with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director sets Minnesota CLE’s strategy for the future and leads the organization to fulfill its mission.
The Executive Director is in charge of the planning and management of programs and publications, and the overall business administration of Minnesota CLE, including management of its 40‐person staff and $9 million annual operating budget.
Qualifications and Experience
● Proven successful leadership experience
● Strong management and business acumen, including staff development
● An ability to work effectively with, and delegate to, a talented senior team
● Experience working effectively with a Board of Directors
● Familiarity with the rapidly changing legal landscape
● An understanding of technology as it impacts Minnesota CLE’s development and delivery of products
● Experience in strategic planning, including oversight of marketing, publishing and distance‐learning education
● A law degree and experience practicing law are highly preferred.
● Strategic and Innovative Leader – ability to develop and implement innovative growth strategies
● Relationship Builder – understanding of and appreciation for the legal marketplace and challenges facing law firms, corporate law departments, government agencies, pro bono organization, and individual lawyers
● Decision‐maker – ability to make practical, realistic, data driven and timely decisions
● Collaborator – ability to collaborate effectively with the talented volunteer faculty members who contribute to Minnesota CLE
● Excellent Communicator – ability to listen intently, think clearly, and respond effectively
● A passion for continuing legal education and helping lawyers with their practice
● Ethical and trustworthy
● Highly intelligent with strong performance standards
● One who values the importance of volunteers and their contribution in support of Minnesota CLE
● An individual with the presence and credibility to effectively lead Minnesota CLE
The position will remain open until filled. To apply, interested candidates should send a letter of introduction and a resume to Cincinnatus or by mail to Cincinnatus, Attn: Employment, Colonial Warehouse, Suite 478, 212 Third Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN, 55401.