Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Date Posted: 09/05/2023
Closing Date: 09/19/2023
S1 Salary Range: $36.40 – $57.47 / hourly; $76,003 – $119,997 / annually
S2 Salary Range: $50.53 – $78.30 / hourly; $105,506 – $163,490 / annually
S3 Salary Range: $54.12 – $83.57 / hourly; $113,002 – $174,494 / annually
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who choose public service as a calling, and we are actively and intentionally committed to supporting an internal culture that affirms that calling. The Office is one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and as of 2023, has been recognized as a Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota for three years in a row and Top Workplace USA for two years in a row.
The Office seeks an attorney to join its Employment, Tort, and Public Utilities Commission Division (“ETP”), which is housed in the Solicitor General’s Section of the Office. The lawyer’s primary caseload will involve defending the State from employment and tort claims in state and federal court. There will also be opportunities to defend claims that Minnesota statutes are unconstitutional or to work on cases of state-wide impact.
One of the roles of the ETP Division is to defend the State and its agencies, officers, and employees from tort and employment claims. The attorney we seek to hire will have responsibility for a set of assigned cases (and charges), which the attorney will handle from the initial Answer or Rule 12 motion, through discovery, dispositive motion practice, mediation, trial, and appeal. Mentorship and training are available through formal and informal channels. Because cases can be venued anywhere in the state, periodic travel throughout Minnesota may be required.
This position is eligible for a hybrid work environment.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA
- Licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota or ability to obtain licensures within 90 days of hire
- An interest in handling tort and employment cases on behalf of the State before administrative tribunals, district courts, and in the appellate courts;
- Excellent research skills, and written and oral communication skills (a cover letter with a writing sample is required with application submission)
- Ability to:
- travel to counties throughout the state
- litigate independently and make strategic decisions as lead counsel on a diverse caseload
- multitask by managing a high-volume caseload and meeting tight deadlines
- contribute positively to a team and interact successfully with colleagues, clients, counsel, judges, and members of the public
- work in an inclusive, creative, and collaborative work environment
IMPORTANT! All applicants must prepare two documents to upload and submit with their application: (1) resume; and (2) cover letter with a writing sample (of up to five pages) in one document.
To be considered at the S2 level, candidates must have 6 years of related experience. To be considered at the S3 level, candidates must have 12 years of related experience.
- A judicial clerkship; and
- Complex civil litigation experience.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is Tuesday, September 19, 2023.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact K.C. Moua at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 757-1279.
Why Work For Us
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, fostering understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources, and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive service to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at (651) 259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.