Assistant City Attorney- Civil Division
The City of Duluth seeks an Assistant City Attorney to join our Civil Division team!
The Office of the City Attorney is committed to providing excellent legal services, advice and representation to the City, City Authorities, Commissions and officials and staff, and honoring the highest principles of the legal profession.
At the direction of the City Attorney, and under the general supervision of the Deputy City Attorney, Civil Division, the Assistant City Attorney position performs professional legal work, primarily in the areas of economic development, transactional and contract law. Experience in these or related subject areas is preferred.
Duluth is a four-season city with 11,000 acres of green space alongside the shores of Lake Superior, located just two hours north of the Twin Cities. Voted Outside magazine’s Best Town in 2014, Duluth offers adventures such as hiking, skiing, hunting, boating, biking, and much more. Duluth also boasts a vibrant arts culture, home to art museums, performance centers, community and college theater productions, and numerous festivals throughout the year; and competitive sports including nationally ranked collegiate teams.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
- Advise on civil legal issues at all stages of transactional matters, including negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts and related documents, assist in drafting and reviewing ordinances and resolutions.
- Perform general legal research and prepare written and oral opinions on various legal issues for City Council, City departments, City Authorities, and various boards and commissions.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships.
- Assist with the acquisition, sale or vacation of real property interests as well as special assessments and bond issues.
- Represent the City Attorney’s Office at various City Council, Authority, and board and commission meetings and render legal advice on agenda items.
- Represent the City, its Authorities and their officers and employees in court and administrative hearings as required.
- Represent the City, its Authorities and their officers and employees in negotiations with outside parties as required.
- Respond to inquiries from various City departments, Authorities, and boards and commissions.
- Assist with responding to data practices requests.
- Periodic work onsite at night and/or on weekends may be required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be admitted to practice law in Minnesota and in good standing.
- General understanding of principles and practices related to municipal law as applicable to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Knowledge of local ordinances, state laws, established precedents, and legal reference sources as well as methods of legal research.
- Ability to deal respectfully and effectively with people from all cultures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Selection Process Information
Please include a cover letter, resume, and proof of legal education with your application.
Work Eligibility: In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the City of Duluth requires verification of identity and work eligibility at the point of hire.
Non-discrimination: The City of Duluth is an equal opportunity and veteran-friendly employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability, genetic information, veteran status or activity in a local Human Rights Commission or any other characteristic protected by law.
Probation Period: 12 months
Job Number: C22142
AgencyCity of DuluthAddress411 West First Street
Duluth, Minnesota, 55802Phone218-730-5210