POSTING TYPE: Open-competitive
DEPARTMENT: County Attorney
LOCATION: Judicial Center, Hastings
UNION: Dakota County Attorney Employees’ Association
CLOSE DATE: This posting will remain open until the position is filled. Apply early as the first review applications will occur on January 8th and weekly thereafter.
SALARY RANGE: The position level at which the offer is extended is based on the candidate’s ability to meet the minimum qualifications and the candidates relevant years of experience. The hiring ranges for the position are listed below.
*** Attorney II $84,851 – $132,580 ***
*** Attorney III $95,034 – $148,490 ***
*** Attorney IV $106,438 – $166,309 ***
What You’ll Do
County Attorneys in the Civil Division of the Dakota County Attorney’s Office represent the interests of Dakota County in civil legal matters by providing legal services to the county board and county departments, representing Dakota County in many types of civil litigation; drafting and reviewing policies and contracts, advising the county board and departments on legal compliance issues and other responsibilities as determined by the County Attorney. Under minimal supervision, the Attorney II/III/IV performs work of varied and moderately complex difficulty in civil or criminal law.
We currently have a vacancy within the Civil Division. Case assignments will include civil advice to Dakota County departments, litigation, contract, and other responsibilities as determined by the Division Head, First Assistant, or County Attorney.
Who We Are
Dakota County is Minnesota’s third largest county and home to more than 400,000 residents. Our motto is “Be More” and we strive every day to achieve excellence in public service, with a focus on four values: Service, Integrity, People, and Innovation.
Dakota County aims to create an environment that is welcoming and inclusive of diverse people, backgrounds, and experiences. Our goal is to have a workforce that is reflective of the communities and individuals we serve. We promote an equitable and culturally aware work environment where everyone can be their authentic selves.
• Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school;
• Licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota by the date of hire
• Two years of full-time experience as a licensed attorney
*** The minimum qualifications listed above are written at the Attorney II level. You must meet these minimum requirements in order to continue in the recruitment and selection process.
• Preference given to those with experience providing public sector civil advice (i.e. general legal and governance advice, contracting, procurement, transactions, ordinance drafting, etc.) in Minnesota.
Duties & Responsibilities
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position’s management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
1. Review reports and other information pertaining to county government operations, litigation and contractual responsibilities to determine appropriate action or advice.
2. Draft real estate documents, contractual documents, complaints, petitions, motions, memoranda, findings, orders, stipulations, post-trial memoranda, contracts, agreements, policies and other legal documents in assigned matters of basic to highly complex difficulty.
3. Prepare assigned cases for trial before judge, jury, magistrate, referee or administrative law judge; interview witnesses, plan and organize opening statements, direct and cross-examinations and closing argument; plan and organize admission of documentary and physical evidence.
4. Represent Dakota County in various state and federal courts and administrative hearings, at pretrial, trial, appellate arguments, and post-trial proceedings in civil litigation matters.
5. Provide basic to complex legal advice to County staff regarding legal obligations, authority, compliance and liability.
6. Provide legal advice to Dakota County department personnel/contractors and the County Board regarding state and federal law, applicable legal authority, responsibilities, and potential liabilities.
7. Provide training to Dakota County department personnel including explaining laws, court rules, court procedures, evidentiary rules, and case dispositions.
8. Provide training and mentoring to less experienced professional and paraprofessional staff within the Dakota County Attorney’s Office.
9. Attend staff and other required meetings.
10. Attend continuing legal education courses.
11. Perform other duties as assigned by Civil Division Head, Chief Deputy, First Assistant or County Attorney.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: 1-10
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment
• Extensive knowledge of state and federal constitutional law, statutes, court rules effectively and efficiently represent Dakota County with minimal guidance and supervision.
• Extensive knowledge of the applicable Rules of Professional Responsibility.
• Ability to analyze facts in light of applicable laws and evidentiary rules.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to plan, organize and present a case.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships.
• Ability to perform work effectively, independently and in a timely manner.
• Competency in the use of computers, business software applications and Internet resources to perform essential job duties.Work Environment
Lifting requirement of up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis. Equipment used may include, but is not limited to computer, laptop, projector, Elmo projector, printer, scanner, telephone, and copy and fax machine.
Location & Schedule
This is a hybrid position that offers a mix of telework and in-person work at our Judicial Center in Hastings, MN. Work is performed Monday through Friday during regular business hours.
- Comprehensive and affordable medical, dental, vision, and other benefits
- Excellent work-life balance
- Generous paid time off (accrual rate starts at four weeks per year)
- Eleven paid holidays each year and one floating holiday
- Pension with a generous employer contribution
- Ability to work from home some of the time
- You submit an online application that includes supplemental questions
- We assign you a score based on your qualifications
- Top scoring candidates are referred to the hiring manager for interview consideration
- We conduct interviews and reference checks before extending an offer
- We extend an offer and conduct background checks