Company: HTLF (formally Heartland Financial)
Job Description Summary
The Deputy General Counsel is responsible for providing high quality legal research & analysis, risk analysis, advice and counsel to internal clients; leading a team of legal department lawyers, effectively managing external counsel, serving as lead counsel for the commercial line of business and the credit department; providing subject matter expertise on lending matters and leadership in each area of law assigned to each team member.
- Serves as lead counsel for the Commercial line of business and the Credit department by maintaining relevant subject matter expertise; provides practical, results orientated legal advice, manages internal and external legal resources, and effectively develops and maintains strong client relationships.
- Serves as the legal department subject matter expert on lending matters.
- Manages and leads a team of legal department lawyers.
- Provides subject matter expertise and leadership for each area of law assigned to his or her team.
- Participates in the development of legal department policies and procedures.
- Maintains effective partnerships with other company departments to support common client relationships.
- Provides legal advice and support for client projects and product development initiatives
- Conducts and coordinates research into a variety of laws, regulations and legal issues.
- Develops and recommends company policy and positions on legal issues.
- Monitors and provides regular client communications and education to the legal department, internal clients and company management on emerging legal issues and risks.
- Drafts, reviews, and edits complex contracts, legal memoranda, customer disclosures and documents, regulatory filings, client policies and procedures and litigation documents and filings.
- Effectively manages outside counsel and litigation strategy for assigned litigation matters.
- Completes annual E-Learning Plan and Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) training as assigned and keeps up-to-date knowledge of BSA as it relates to the job function.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Works with department staff on individual professional development and career development opportunities. Facilitates team members in creating individual goals and development plans that align with the department goals.
- Works with Heartland Financials’ Talent Acquisition team to identify and hire the most qualified and talented individuals to fill open positions.
- Provides information and on-going feedback to department staff regarding expectations and performance, salary adjustments and/or promotions.
- Addresses and resolves all performance concerns and issues in a timely manner.
- Prepares and conducts annual performance reviews within established deadlines.
- This position will have multiple direct reports comprised of Associate General Counsels, Corporate Counsels, Attorneys or Paralegals and will require the effective use and supervision of internal and external legal resources.
- Doctorate Law required
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state, preferably Minnesota or Iowa required
- 10+ years experience as a practicing lawyer in a law firm or in-house legal department required
- 10+ years experience as a lawyer representing financial institutions required
- Demonstrable legal expertise in two or more of the following areas:
- Loan documentation
- Loan workouts and bankruptcy
- Working knowledge of the commercial banking and financial services industries
- Ability to efficiently oversee, supervise and manage external legal counsel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to draft well-written reports, memoranda, general business correspondence, and policies and procedures
- Highly computer literate, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat
- Agile and creative problem solver
- Collaborative partner with strong inter-personal skills and the ability to work effectively with team members at all levels across the company, including executives and senior management, business line leaders, and division directors and managers
- Ability to discretely handle highly confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to work independently and exercise excellent judgement
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail