Dorsey & Whitney LLP seeks an Estate Administration Attorney with at least five years of working knowledge of the probate and trust administration process to join the Tax, Trusts & Estates group in our Minneapolis office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Coordinates all aspects of complex probate and trust administrations for high-net-worth clients, including serving as a primary contact for clients and their advisors; answering clients’ questions; identifying, valuing, and transferring assets; and preparing estate tax returns, working with associates and partners as appropriate.
– Prepares gift and estate tax returns, responds to tax notices and correspondence, assists with audit or tax court proceedings.
– Compiles and analyzes tax information, including gift, estate, and income tax matters; identifies tax issues and proposed resolutions; prepares tax planning models, including estate tax projections and trust and estate distribution charts.
– Trains and serves as “subject matter expert” for paralegals and other timekeepers, including review of work product and coordination of knowledge among the group and best practices for estate and trust administration and estate and gift tax return preparation.
– Drafts probate pleadings and other documents and correspondence relating to complex probates and trust administrations, including deeds, property agreements, and documents relating to foundations, corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies. Prepares gifting and transfer documentation such as deeds, bills of sale and insurance and stock assignments in coordination with associates and partners.
– Maintains Minnesota bar association membership and attends CLE programs as directed by the Tax, Trusts & Estates Practice Group Leader.
– May be requested to perform other duties not listed above.
The following qualifications are required:
– JD degree from an ABA-accredited law school
– Significant working knowledge of the probate and trust administration process
– Significant experience preparing and/or reviewing estate tax returns
– Exemplary attention to detail and organizational skills
– Strong oral and written communication skills
– Excellent research and analytical ability
– Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
– Minnesota bar admission or the ability to become admitted in Minnesota
Dorsey offers opportunities for advancement within a collaborative and dynamic environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Our benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance; domestic partner benefits (for same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners); Dorsey & Whitney 401(K) Retirement and Savings Plan; 15 weeks of paid parental leave, plus an additional 6-8 weeks of paid short-term disability for lawyers who give birth; adoption assistance; back-up child care program; education and college advising programs; well-being programs and activities; a 24/7 employee assistance program with confidential counseling; and more!
Dorsey values the strength that comes from a diverse and inclusive work environment. It contributes to the success of our people and our clients and enriches our experience. We believe that everyone should feel at home and part of our community.
You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, affectional preference, disability, age, marital status, familial status, status with regard to public assistance, military or veteran status, or any other legally-protected status.
Dorsey participates in E-Verify.
Clients have relied on the international law firm of Dorsey & Whitney LLP since 1912 as a trusted legal advisor and valued business partner. With locations across the United States as well as Canada, Europe and Asia, Dorsey provides an integrated, dedicated approach to its clients’ legal and business needs. Dorsey’s diverse client base includes more than one-third of Fortune 100 companies.
Our lawyers apply superb legal knowledge and skills with practical wisdom and a deep understanding of business and industry. We serve clients in nearly all industries, but focus on six key industries in which we have excellent depth and a history of achieving client success:
– Banking and Financial Institutions
– Development and Infrastructure
– Energy & Natural Resources
– Food, Beverage & Agribusiness
Among Dorsey’s many distinguished alumni are U.S. Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun, noted law professor and scholar William Prosser, Minnesota’s first woman judge Betty Washburn, former U.S. Vice President and Ambassador to Japan Walter Mondale, U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar, former Corporation Counsel of the City of New York Zachary Carter, and U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack. Recognized for our dedication to community, Dorsey has met the ABA Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge every year since the Challenge began in 1993 by devoting more than 3% of billable hours to pro bono work.
One of our greatest strengths is a friendly, cooperative culture that values and appreciates each individual. Dorsey has received external recognition for our welcoming workplace, including:
– Mansfield Certification Plus (Diversity Lab)
– Best Law Firms for Women (National Association of Female Executives and Flex-Time Lawyers)
– 100% rating on the Corporate Equality Index (Human Rights Campaign)
– Top 100 Adoption-Friendly Workplace (Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption)
How to Apply
Dorsey accepts online applications at http://www.dorsey.com/attorneyjobs. We do not accept application materials by mail or email except as a reasonable accommodation for qualified disabled applicants. Dorsey is committed to providing disability and religious-based reasonable accommodations. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and hiring process, or if you have questions about a workplace reasonable accommodation, please contact us at 612-492-5033.