Dorsey is seeking an in-houseEmployee Relations Attorney to join a proactive and collaborative team, working on the firm’s internal personnel matters. In addition to compliance and sound business practices, we support and engage an inclusive and high-performing workforce. As a strategic counselor, you will partner with HR colleagues and Firm management on a variety of personnel issues and assist in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and training curriculum to support key business objectives. We value creativity and flexibility, in addition to sound guidance around risks and compliance.
In this role, you will:
· Provide strategic advice to Firm management and HR colleagues on full range of personnel matters, including: hiring and terminations, leaves and accommodations, payroll and benefits compliance, personnel performance, workplace complaints, and prevention of discrimination, retaliation and harassment.
· Maintain knowledge of industry trends related to employment practices and ensure the Firm’s compliance with legal requirements, as well as Firm policy. Plan and conduct compliance audits periodically.
· Partner with HR colleagues to develop and conduct in-house training sessions.
· Draft and update personnel policies and identify and implement best practices in light of current law and Firm initiatives.
· Draft or review performance-related documentation (warnings, etc.) and informative communications related to policy changes or new laws.
· Draft personnel agreements (e.g., severance, relocation, change in status, consultant, etc.) and maintain appropriate templates.
· Conduct investigations regarding personnel matters, including discrimination and harassment complaints.
· As needed, prepare the Firm’s response to state and federal administrative charges.
· Support the Firm’s General Counsel, Firm Employment Counsel and Ethics & Loss Prevention Partner.
· Manage affirmative action plans, including working with vendors as appropriate.
· Assume such other duties as directed.
· Some travel required.
What we’re looking for:
· J.D. from accredited law school and admission to a state bar.
· At least five years advising clients/employers on personnel matters, including without limitation, leaves of absence and reasonable accommodations (up to two years of prior management or HR experience may be counted as relevant experience for this requirement).
· Working knowledge of various employment laws, including the ADA, FMLA, Title VII and FLSA.
· Working knowledge of statistical concepts, methods, and data collection procedures.
· General knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources administration.
· Conflict resolution skills and experience.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with personnel at all levels.
· Ability to work well under pressure and to manage and prioritize competing demands.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Excellent problem-solving skills.
· Experience advising multi-state employers.
· Experience advising clients in a professional services setting.
· Prior Human Resources experience.
Dorsey & Whitney is an AmLaw 100 international law firm with more than 575 lawyers in 21 offices throughout the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia. We are a premier legal counselor to companies worldwide in a wide range of industries, including banking & financial institutions; development & infrastructure; energy & natural resources; food, beverage & agribusiness; healthcare & life sciences; and technology.
Dorsey offers a competitive pay and benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance; domestic partner benefits (for same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners); a generous paid time off policy; retirement savings plan; profit sharing contribution; paid holidays; paid parental leave, paid volunteer day; bonuses, adoption assistance; back-up child care program; well-being programs and activities; a 24/7 confidential employee assistance program; and more! (Some benefits are subject to eligibility criteria).
Dorsey values the strength that comes from a diverse and inclusive workplace. It contributes to the success of our people and our clients and enriches our experience. We believe that everyone should feel at home and part of our community. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
One of our greatest strengths is a friendly, cooperative culture that values and appreciates each individual. Dorsey has received external recognition for our welcoming workplace, including:
– Mansfield Certification Plus (Diversity Lab)
– Best Law Firms for Women (National Association of Female Executives and Flex-Time Lawyers)
– 100% rating on the Corporate Equality Index (Human Rights Campaign)
– Gold Standard Certification (Women in Law Empowerment Forum)
– Top 100 Adoption-Friendly Workplace (Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption)
How to Apply:
Dorsey accepts online applications at http://www.dorsey.com/attorneyjobs. We do not accept application materials by mail or email except as a reasonable accommodation for qualified disabled applicants. Dorsey is committed to providing disability and religious-based reasonable accommodations. If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and hiring process, or if you have questions about a workplace reasonable accommodation, please contact us at 612-492-5033.