DISTRICT OF MINNESOTA
Notice of Position Vacancy
Announcement Number: #2023‑09
Position Title: Law Clerk to U.S. Bankruptcy Judge (Full‑time, Term position)
Anticipated Start Date: December 2023
Closing Date: November 17, 2023, or until filled
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Salary: $74,973 ‑ $138,913 (based on qualifications)
Tenure: Term not to exceed two (2) years.
This is a full‑time, 40 hour per week position.
The United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota is recruiting a Term Law Clerk to Judge William J. Fisher. A Law Clerk to a United States Bankruptcy Judge performs substantive review, research, and writing on matters pending before the Court.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES INCLUDE:
Reviews complaints, petitions, motions, and other pleadings that come before the Court to determine the issues involved and the basis for relief;
Reviews dockets of pending litigation and monitors progress;
Screens motions and drafts orders for judge’s review;
Performs legal research;
Identifies issues before the Court and makes recommendations;
Provides information to the judge in connection with pending litigation;
Drafts bench memos for the judge’s consideration;
Proofreads orders and opinions, verifying citations;
Maintains liaison between the Court and litigants;
Communicates with counsel, court officials, and litigants regarding procedural requirements;
Keeps abreast of changes in the law and briefs the judge;
Assists the judge during courtroom proceedings;
Shares in the administrative tasks of chambers; and
Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
· Graduate of a law school of recognized standing by the American Bar Association or the Association of American Law Schools; and,
· The following attributes:
–Good academic record; and
‑-Experience on the editorial board of a law review; or
‑‑Demonstrated proficiency in legal studies, which in the opinion of the Court, is equivalent to one of the above.
· A strong academic background
· Excellent legal research skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
· Exceptional organizational, computer, computer‑assisted legal research, and word processing skills
· Ability to maintain confidentiality, uphold the court’s ethical rules and exhibit good judgment, maturity, dependability and responsibility
· Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with others in a team‑based environment
· Ability to manage and prioritize time and tasks and meet all deadlines
· Previous experience as a federal law clerk or bankruptcy attorney is highly desirable
This is a sensitive position within the Judiciary. The selected candidate will be required to undergo an FBI fingerprint check through the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division. Appointment to this position is provisional, and retention depends upon a favorable suitability determination based on the results of the fingerprint check.
The United States Bankruptcy Court is a part of the Judicial Branch of the United States Government. Employees of the United States Bankruptcy Court serve under “Excepted Appointment” and are considered “At‑Will” employees. Benefits include:
· Thirteen (13) days of paid vacation and sick leave per year;
· Optional participation in choice of health plans, dental and vision insurance programs, group life insurance program, long term care insurance, and optional participation in a pre‑tax flexible spending account plan for commuter reimbursement, and dependent care and medical expenses not covered by health insurance;
· 11 paid holidays per year.
THIS POSITION IS SUBJECT TO MANDATORY EFT (ELECTRONIC FUNDS TRANSFER)
PARTICIPATION FOR PAYMENT OF NET PAY.
Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or eligible to work in the United States. Please note citizenship requirements:
Only the most qualified applicants will be invited for personal interviews. Only those selected to interview will be contacted. Interview and relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should submit:
§ a cover letter,
§ a detailed resume with exact dates of employment,
§ law school transcript, and
§ three references
The judge will accept writing samples.
Please email these items in a single .pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE REFER TO ANNOUNCEMENT #2023-09 IN YOUR COVER LETTER OR EMAIL TRANSMITTAL.
Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to provide a completed Application for Judicial Branch Federal Employment (Form AO 78).
Only qualified applicants will be considered for this position. No telephone calls please.
The court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, to withdraw the announcement, to fill the position sooner than the closing date indicates, or to fill more than one position, without any prior written or other notice.
THE UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.