Job Class: Staff Attorney 3
Minnesota Department of Health
• Job ID: 60526
• Location: St. Paul
• Full/Part Time: Full-Time
• Regular/Temporary: Unlimited
• Who May Apply: This vacancy is open for bids and for all qualified job seekers simultaneously. Bidders will
be considered through 11/15/2022.
• Date Posted: 11/08/2022
• Closing Date:11/28/2022
• Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota Health Department (MDH)
• Division/Unit: Executive Office / General Counsel’s Office
• Work Shift/Work Hours: 8:00am – 4:30pm
• Days of Work: Monday – Friday
• Travel Required: No
• Salary Range: $38.38 – $56.92 / hourly – $80,137 – $118,848 / annually
• Classified Status: Classified
• Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 Professional Employees (MAPE)
• FLSA Status: Exempt
• Telework Eligible: Yes
• Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a
These positions exist to provide the Minnesota Department of Health with legal expertise to support the Department’s
work. The individuals in these positions will: serve as the Department’s lead attorney in one or more assigned
practice areas and lead legal advisor for assigned divisions of the Department; provide the Department with legal
expertise to ensure MDH’s compliance with state and federal laws, providing legal advice on agencywide and
division-specific issues; assist the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel with coordinating the Department’s
litigation; collaborate with other General Counsel’s Office attorneys and Department staff in legal review of contracts
and rulemaking submissions; assist with development and implementation of Department legal policies and best
practices; and coordinate and complete special projects as assigned by the General Counsel or Deputy General
Counsel. The individuals in these positions will conduct legal and policy research, perform analysis on diverse and
complex matters, provide legal advice, and produce written products for a variety of audiences and purposes.
The location of these positions is St. Paul. These positions will have the option for telework based on business needs
and up to supervisor discretion. Non-reimbursable travel to the position office location may be required.
This positng will hire up to 2 positions.
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an ABA accredited law school.
• Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota and current with continuing legal education
• Four years as a licensed attorney practicing in Minnesota which must include conducting legal research,
writing, and analysis (judicial clerkship experience will count toward this criteria).
• Experience providing legal advice, litigation representation, or support in one or more of the following areas:
Data privacy laws and compliance issues that apply to public agencies, including the Minnesota
Government Data Practices Act.
Employment law/human resources.
Emergency preparation and management.
Contracts, grants, and procurement.
Administrative proceedings (i.e., contested cases and fair hearings) relating to maltreatment of
vulnerable adults, background studies, and/or enforcement actions against licensed entities or
Any other area or activity related to public health.
• Experience handling issues related to state and federal laws as they relate to MDH programs and services.
• Experience working with the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office and/or State government agencies.
• Demonstrated project management and organizational skills.
This position requires successful completion of a background check.
How to Apply
Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job
information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. For additional information about the application
process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Ann Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-259-5332.
To receive consideration as a Connect 700 Program applicant, apply online, email the Job ID#, the Working Title and
your valid Proof of Eligibility Certificate by the closing date to Ann Ward at email@example.com.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation for an interview, you may contact the
Department of Health ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Health Department
Come work for one of the best public health systems in the nation and you will contribute to our mission to protect,
maintain and improve the health of all Minnesotans. We are working hard to achieve our vision for health equity in
Minnesota, where all communities are thriving and all people have what they need to be healthy. Our collaborative,
mission-driven work environment is a major factor in promoting a high level of employee health awareness, employee
longevity and job satisfaction.
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we
serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to
best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
• 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency’s mission
• 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
• 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
• 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial
well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
• Public pension plan
• Training and professional development
• Paid vacation and sick leave
• 11 paid holidays each year
• Paid parental leave
• Low-cost medical and dental coverage
• Prescription drug coverage
• Vision coverage
• Wellness programs and resources
• Employer paid life insurance
• Short-term and long-term disability
• Health care spending and savings accounts
• Dependent care spending account
• Tax-deferred compensation
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Tuition reimbursement
• Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability,
union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of
Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities,
individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a
disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job
information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com and indicate what assistance is needed.