General Duty Statement
The Saint Paul City Attorney’s Office is a premier public law office of 90-plus legal professionals and support staff practicing in all areas of municipal law including criminal prosecution, civil litigation, municipal governance, contract and procurement, code and licensing enforcement, planning and zoning, real estate, and economic development.
The Saint Paul City Attorney’s Office is currently accepting applications for a full-time, senior assistant city attorney position in its Civil Division. Duties will primarily include civil transactional and regulatory work and may also include litigation or other work as assigned.
Information Specific to this Position:
This position performs wide-ranging, expert level, highly-complex professional legal work in the Civil Division. The worksite for this position is at the St. Paul City Attorney’s Office located in downtown Saint Paul. While some telework may be possible upon approval of the City Attorney, this position is not a remote position.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Provides general legal services and expert legal advice to the City Council, the Mayor’s Office, various City departments, divisions, offices, authorities, boards, commissions and committees.
- Staffs meetings of the Saint Paul City Council, Housing and Redevelopment Authority, Planning Commissions and other various boards and commissions of the City.
- Drafts ordinances, resolutions, rules and policies.
- Prepares legal opinions or memoranda.
- Drafts and negotiates contracts, which may include real estate documents such as development agreements, easements, deeds, restrictive covenants, subordination agreements, leases, and loan and grant agreements.
- Advises on Federal, State and City compliance requirements.
- Represents the City of Saint Paul and its various departments, boards, and commissions in administrative cases and related matters.
- Plans, organizes, mentors, and leads the work of other employees in varying positions within the Civil Division as requested by the City Attorney, Deputy City Attorney, or Supervising Attorney.
The City of Saint Paul offers an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement contributions and paid time off.
Essential Functions are the functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. The Essential Functions for this position are identified in the Supplemental Information section of the Senior Attorney Job Description.
The City of Saint Paul’s mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.Requirements
Candidates for this position will have at least a Juris Doctorate Degree and a license to practice law from the Supreme Court of the State of Minnesota and at least five years of experience practicing law as an Attorney at the intermediate to senior level with the City of Saint Paul or equivalent.
Qualified candidates must have strong writing and communication skills, a demonstrated ability to maintain consistent professionalism, and a license to practice law in Minnesota.By Closing Date, you MUST
- Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
- Upload or submit the following required documents via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
- Statement of Interest
- Writing Sample
- A legible copy of your proof of license to practice law in the State of Minnesota (required at time of hire)
First time applying online? Read our How to Apply Online Guide.Selection Process Information
Unclassified Posting: This is an UNCLASSIFIED position and is therefore not governed by City Civil Service Rules.
Selection Process: Applicants who meet the criteria and requirements stated on the job posting will be placed on a hiring list for consideration. Hiring Managers may interview/hire anyone from the list.
Final Selection Process: You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Chrissy Hauge at 651-266-6512
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours. Additionally, City of Saint Paul staff are available for application assistance between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at 651-266-6500.
Veteran’s Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran’s preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.