Must apply at http://bit.ly/2KWfIe9 by 9-10-2019 b4:30 PM CST.
General Duty Statement
Performs expert level, professional legal work in the Civil Litigation Division of the Saint Paul City Attorney’s Office. Leads civil litigation activities and provides expert legal advice to the City Council, the Mayor’s Office, City departments, boards, commissions, and committees. Plans, organizes, mentors, and leads the work of lower-level employees within the Civil Litigation Division as requested by the City Attorney, or Deputy City Attorney.
Information related to this position:
This position involves litigation of a wide range of civil actions including civil rights, land use, contracts, employment and various tort claims. The successful candidate must:
- Conduct expert level analysis of complex civil actions initiated against the City of Saint Paul, city employees and elected officials.
- Develop sustainable litigation strategies for a variety of pending and threatened civil actions.
- Draft pleadings, discovery, appellate briefs and other litigation documents in a wide range of routine and complex civil cases.
- Analyze litigation risk, and advise City department directors and stakeholders regarding the impact of litigation on City policies, procedures and initiatives.
- Represent the City of Saint Paul, city employees and elected officials through all phases of civil litigation in state and federal district and appellate courts.
The City of Saint Paul’s mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
Candidates must have a Juris Doctorate Degree and a license to practice law from the Supreme Court of the State of Minnesota and at least seven years of progressive experience to include four years of experience as an Attorney at the full performance level with the City of Saint Paul or equivalent. Continued employment as a Senior Attorney is contingent upon maintaining a license to practice law from the Supreme Court of the State of Minnesota.
Preferred candidates will have at least five years of civil litigation experience.
By Closing Date, you MUST
- Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
- Upload or submit the following required documents via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
- Proof of license to practice law in the State of Minnesota
- Resume and cover letter
- Writing sample
Selection Process Information
Unclassified: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements. This is an UNCLASSIFIED position and is therefore not governed by City Civil Service Rules.
Final Selection Process: You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which may include an interview.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Chrissy Hauge at 651-266-6512
200 City Hall Annex
25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.