Be Part of a Pivotal Moment in History.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota is looking for two Staff Attorneys to join our team! The Staff Attorneys will be dynamic professionals who are looking for a meaningful opportunity in a proven and vibrant organization that makes profound differences in the lives of individuals. Our mission is timely, our staff is committed to protecting civil liberties, and we are poised to succeed, with a growing community of more than 30,000 donors and members.
At the ACLU of Minnesota, we take pride in our reputation of more than 65 years of fighting the hard fight for people whose civil liberties are threatened or denied. And now—as we enlarge our staff to face the current threats to our civil liberties —is the ideal time to join us!
Under the direction of the Legal Director, the Staff Attorneys will represent clients in litigation and other forms of dispute resolution to protect their civil liberties, with an emphasis on impact litigation that furthers our policy priorities.
The positions are based in our Minneapolis office, providing access to the best that the Twin Cities area offers.
Our Staff Attorneys will:
Be part of the legal team by:
· Researching, investigating, developing and litigating impact litigation in state and federal courts to protect civil liberties and civil rights in cases consistent with our strategic policy priorities. This includes conducting factual and legal research, preparing memoranda, writing demand letters, drafting pleadings and briefs, conducting discovery, arguing motions, trying cases, writing appellate briefs, presenting oral arguments on appeal, and writing amicus briefs.
· Doing legal research, investigating facts, identifying clients and developing professional relationships with them, negotiating with opposing parties, and handling all aspects of trials and appeals.
· Handling cases independently, with other members of the legal staff, with pro bono cooperating lawyers, and with other ACLU-affiliated lawyers.
· Drafting amicus briefs in cases of constitutional significance.
· Recruiting and working with volunteer attorneys, interns, and externs.
· Working with and mentoring other attorneys to help them develop and expand their litigation skills and constitutional law expertise.
Participate in advocacy and community engagement by:
· Doing non-litigation advocacy, including supporting partnerships with community organizations, helping with outreach and know-your-rights presentations, public speaking, and interacting with the media.
· Working with other ACLU-MN staff to implement integrated-advocacy campaigns and high-impact strategies using ACLU-MN’s communication, legislative, community outreach/organizing, and legal programs.
· Working with community engagement staff to engage with the community by building and nurturing relationships and participating in regular conversations with community members, partners, and leaders.
· Presenting testimony before legislative bodies and administrative agencies as requested by policy staff.
· Participating in public education on civil liberties issues by speaking at public events and publishing articles and essays.
Our new Staff Attorneys will have these essential attributes:
· A strong understanding of and demonstrated commitment to the mission of the ACLU-MN, preferably with experience in public interest, non-profit advocacy and/or work with communities of color, LGBTQ individuals, immigrants, and persons with disabilities.
· Juris Doctorate and at least three years of litigation experience, including trials, preferably in litigation raising civil liberties and civil rights issues.
· Demonstrated ability to mentor and collaborate with other lawyers.
· Admitted to practice and in good standing in the Minnesota Supreme Court (or eligible for admission within six months of hire date).
· Experience and demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse staff, coalitions, and community groups.
· Exceptional skills in legal research and writing, complex legal analysis, interviewing and fact investigation, oral advocacy, negotiation, and interpersonal communication.
· A commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socioeconomic circumstance.
We would appreciate people who will also bring:
· Knowledge of Spanish, Hmong, East African languages, or other languages likely to be spoken by clients with limited English proficiency.
· Ability to synthesize complex issues and communicate them effectively to juries, judges, elected officials, the media, and the general public.
· Adaptability, organizational skills, and self-motivation.
Finally, our next Staff Attorneys will bring a commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU of Minnesota, along with a personal dedication to a professional team that will bring us into our next 65 years as Minnesota’s guardian of liberty.
Salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $60,000 to $75,000 per year. We offer excellent benefits, including health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance; a 401(k) plan with employer contribution; and sick, vacation, and holiday leave.
Are You Ready to Help Lead Us into the Future?
Submit a letter of interest, a resume or C.V., a legal writing sample of no longer than five pages, links to any other relevant writing samples, and three professional references, identifying their relationship to you and including their email addresses and phone numbers. Also, please let us know how you learned of this career opportunity.
All attachments must be in Word or .pdf format.
Applications will be accepted only until December 16, 2019. If this job sounds interesting, please apply immediately!
ACLU-MN is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACLU-MN encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
ACLU-MN undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: email@example.com. (Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed.)