Trimble is a leading provider of technology solutions that enable professionals and field mobile workers to improve or transform their work processes. Our focus is on integrating our broad technological and application capabilities to create solutions that transform how work is done within the industries we serve.
Our Transportation and Logistics business offers a suite of solutions marketed under the Trimble, PeopleNet, GEOTrac, TMW and ALK Technologies brands. Together, this range of products provides a comprehensive fleet and transportation management, analytics, routing, mapping, reporting and predictive modeling solution to enable the transportation and logistics industry to achieve greater overall operational efficiency, fleet performance, and profitability while ensuring regulatory compliance. Our enterprise strategy focuses on sales to large enterprise accounts with more than 1,000 vehicles. In addition to Trimble-hosted solutions, we also integrate our applications and services directly into the customer’s IT infrastructure.
The commercial counsel position will primarily support the PeopleNet and TMW businesses, and will be located at PeopleNet headquarters in Minneapolis. The PeopleNet mobile communications system includes solutions encompassing route management, safety and compliance, end-to-end vehicle management, and supply chain communications. PeopleNet's products are used by more than 1,500 transportation fleets in the US and Canada. TMW's transportation software platform serves as a central hub from which the core operations of transportation organizations are managed, data is stored and analyzed, and mission critical business processes are automated. Our software platform automates business processes spanning the entire surface transportation lifecycle, order-to-cash, delivering visibility, control, and decision support for the intricate relationships and complex processes involved in the movement of freight. TMW software technologies serve more than 2,300 customers, including many of the most sophisticated and complex transportation companies, as well as hundreds of smaller regional and local operations in North America.
Trimble’s innovation strategy combines organic research and development, ongoing mergers and acquisitions to extend our technology portfolio and footprint, and close collaboration with leading companies in our key vertical markets through joint ventures, strategic alliances, and strategic customer relationships. Trimble is seeking an experienced attorney with significant inhouse and/or law firm transactional experience. The candidate will support various transactional functions and report to the PeopleNet Business Unit Controller with dotted line reporting to Trimble’s General Counsel.
A key component to this job is being able to support complex customer, distributor, vendor, OEM and technology licensing transactions, including structuring, drafting, and negotiating agreements in these areas. The candidate will also work with business units on day to day legal matters, including M&A support, compliance, management of outside counsel, and oversight of contract managers. Trimble’s business and workforce is global so international experience and outlook are important.
· Support business units in all areas of need on an ongoing basis, working closely with business unit leadership and financial functions, including compliance and risk management.
· Draft and negotiate domestic and international business contracts, including software licensing and hosting agreements, software as a service agreement, professional services agreements, vendor and customer service agreements, joint development agreements, and strategic collaboration. Guide deal structuring, manage deal process and outside counsel.
· Provide legal counsel on issues facing the business units.
· Close integration with the broader Trimble legal team to ensure application of best practices and consistency with corporate approaches to transactions, compliance, and risk management.
Skills & Experience Required:
· 6-8 years experience with a legal practice focused on a technology based industry. Both inhouse and law firm experience a plus.
· Ability to independently identify needs, issues, risks, goals and solutions in a fast-paced and highly demanding environment.
· Business orientation to understand and advance business objectives.
· Ability to manage and prioritize multiple matters simultaneously and to respond to rapidly shifting priorities in ambiguous or challenging situations.
· Strong in commercial transactions, contract drafting and licensing but will also have a well-rounded set of legal skills and be able to assist the business units in all areas of legal needs for the division.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Vision, force of personality and leadership skills ensure management participation and buy-in including the ability to demonstrate confidence in making difficult decisions.
· Excellent communication skills, ability to liaise with all areas of the business at all levels.
· Demonstrated track record of successfully concluding negotiation of complex transactions.
· Law degree from an ABA-accredited law school, and membership in one or more state bars, including preferably Minnesota.
· Ability to motivate a variety of individuals at all levels in the organization.
· Must be comfortable and adept at balancing risk and opportunity.
Trimble Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected factor. EOE/M/F/V/D
(858) 842-6157 Office
(408) 675-9521 Direct